Thursday, November 6, 2014

Odds and Ends...11/6/14



This is Halloween...

Too my surprise, Tera, a fellow chocoholic,  took a page out of Toby's Halloween book and put a vast majority of her candy up for sale.

I wonder what she's planning on doing with the money that she earns?  Aside from a slight obsession with My Little Pony figures she has never been one to want anything.  She hates shopping --- period, has no desire to own a phone, doesn't really play video games, and she has an Itunes card that's been collecting dust.

Take Tera to the library and give her art supplies and she's happy.  I am truly astounded at how low maintenance she is....I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she stays that way.

So now that both kids have ventured into the halloween candy selling business I have to say that I find the differences between the two kids amusing.

When Toby sold his candy, he simply threw everything into a bowl and taped a piece of paper onto it simply stating --- .10 cents or, when he was price gouging his old man -- .25 cents.

Tera, on the other hand, performed a detailed inventory which resulted in a two page itemized list of candies.  Each candy was priced in direct proportion to it's size and uniqueness.  (Example --- Tootsie pops, various flavors = .25 cents.  Tootsie Pop, "Mystery" flavor -- .35 cents)

Toby's bowl of candy was just a hodgepodge that required some digging and sifting in order to find your heart's desire.

Tera's plastic tub of candy was neatly laid out; everything had a place.  I believe she has a good future in warehouse and inventory management.

Toby's bowl was out on the table, but only when Toby was home......Steal from the Halloween Godfather and you're liable to have your hand cut off by one of his hired henchmen.

"Bonasera...Bonasera...What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully?"

Tera operates on a trust system; which I will unfortunately have to explain to her is not a great way to run her business.   On her little itemized list is the following statement:  "Take candy, leave money according to price."

It's a good thing that her dad has a guilt complex.  I am an honest man --- who, less then a week after Halloween, is already down seven bucks.........Shit.



I am tech savvy.....NO, really....

This week the power went out twice in our humble little hobbit hole and, having files that I don't want to lose on my computer, I decided that I had better save my important documents on a zip drive.

I plug the device into the USB port and, to my dismay, nothing happens.

Too make a long, aggravating story short (I really don't want to remember every troubleshooting technique I used in a vain attempt to fix the problem) I wasted about two hours of my day and could not get the damn device to work.

When Karla came home I vented.  "The mac isn't recognizing the drive.  It's supposed to show up on the desktop and then all I have to do is transfer the files.  I tried everything I could think of and when that didn't work I googled my problem and still came up with nothing.....I think I might have a bad zip drive."

Karla, "Yeah.  That's the USB connection for the wireless mouse."

.............

"oh......"

Well..........Shit.........


Bottomless Pit...

I know I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again......I really miss being able to eat whatever I want.

I miss being able to wolf down, not one, but two super sized big mac meals and still be ready to eat an hour later.

I miss hearing my mom, dad, wife, friends, ask me "How can you still be hungry?"  or "How do you not weigh three hundred pounds?"

Don't get me wrong,  I still have a good metabolism --- but I just can't go nuts like I used to. As a middle aged man I have to use this thing called "discretion"......and that just sucks.

And when I see Toby eat --- I get jealous.

Yesterday he downed, not one, but two Chipotle burritos and then followed it up with ice cream.

Two hours later he downs a few pieces of pizza.......He eats constantly; from the moment he gets up til the moment he goes to bed and, just like his dad use to be, he doesn't gain any weight.

Now, years later, I understand that look of hatred that I used to get from all my female friends as they said, "You make me sick....."


You should write a book....
I've been hearing this a lot lately from family and friends.  To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not sure that I have the discipline or the patience for such an undertaking.

I don't consider myself a writer.  I'm more like an old bullshitter that just happened to sling his bullshit onto a piece of paper.

I don't consider my blog to be work.  It's just a great way to vent, it's my own personal and not so secret diary -- and here is why I feel this way.......Every Thursday, when I sit down behind the keyboard, there is about a ninety five percent chance that I will have absolutely no clue what I'm going to write about -- and today was no exception.

I just go with whatever pops into my head, spend about an hour pounding the keys, read through it once, and then pass it off on Karla for approval.

After Karla goes over it I may, or I may not, run through it one more time before I post it.

That's basically it.  Would that be considered improvisational keyboarding?  Possibly.

So, if you were to consider what it takes to write a book -- things like research, developing a plot, subplot, a list of characters -- yadda yadda yadda.....Man, I just don't know.  I'm not sure that I have the attention span for that kind of detailed undertaking.

I don't know.....Maybe.... Maybe.

I guess I should at least consider it.



Anyway.....I think I'm done here......The question now is do I want another cup of coffee?  I went out for coffee this morning with my brother Tim; but not before drinking the pot I brewed up and having another cup at his house.  All that and one large sea salt caramel latte later and I can't close me eyes.  I don't think I've blinked once in the last couple of hours.

And I swear that I can HEAR colors.....Yes, pink is loud......very loud.

Water....Water is good.  I'll just go with that ......










No comments:

Post a Comment