Thursday, July 10, 2014

The week that was..... 7/10/14


The Garden:







Simple....Nothing special to any one else but me.  If you would have told me ten years ago that I would enjoy having a garden I would have told you to shut up and get me another beer........I must be getting old.  :)

I have to admit that Tera has been putting most of the work in but next year I plan on getting a lot more ambitious.  Owning a garden is therapeutic --- even if only to sit on the swing and look at while sipping on a glass of iced tea.

(Tom, your man pills are on the kitchen counter.  Take it while slamming a beer and taking a shot of whiskey.  I fear you are sprouting breasts....)

Whatever......It's all good.....Well, not the breast part; I'm too old to learn how to wear a bra.  Actually, I'd just burn it anyway.  I'm all for women's rights!!!  (That is as far into politics as you will see me go on this blog)

Yeah, I'm definitely getting old.  But, you know what?  I'm kind of diggin' it.


Mellow:

My grooveshark play list:

http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/My+Happy+List/98921580

Time has a way of calming a person down.  To say that I have mellowed is a slight understatement.  Anyone that knew me in high school or shortly thereafter would never have imagined me listening to country music, gardening, or wanting to do nothing more than kick back on the beach, nursing a drink with an umbrella in it.  Yes, I have mellowed.

 It's too bad that it's not a smooth kind of mellow -- I'm still an uncoordinated bull with an inner ear infection in a very small China shop -- but, hey, it's all good man....It's all good.

Don't get me wrong; there are some things about getting older that I don't enjoy like a slower metabolism and nagging injuries.  But the trade off is I'm no longer angry and emotional.  Metallica has given way to Mendelssohn (Actually, Tchaikovsky is my favorite...I just like the way Metallica to Mendelssohn sounds), a six pack of beer that would have lasted a couple of hours on a Saturday night now lasts a couple of months in my refrigerator, and all that fishing and hunting that took up my entire weekend has taken a back seat to my kids.

Fine by me....I couldn't be happier.

A New Goal:

I have no idea where the urge to kick field goals came from but, hey, I'll roll with it.  Neither Toby nor myself haven't the foggiest idea what we are doing but with the help of youtube and sheer stubbornness I'd say we are making progress:







No.....The colleges wont' be lining up and banging on our door any time in our near future.....But we have time, I'm sure we will figure it out.

Feeling Uneasy:

In my first full week of the "off season" I have been going to the ball games of family and friends.  By the end of the week I will have gone to five games in as many days and I'm quite certain there will be a couple of Saturday games in there as well.

I've been telling Karla that once the kids are done playing I am going to "retire" from coaching.  However, after spending a few nights sitting in the stands I'm not sure I'm going to be able to.

I firmly believe in the saying "Players play, coaches coach, and parents cheer". (Umpires?  Who really know what the hell their doing... :)....)  But I have since found that saying, when put to the test this week, a lot harder to follow through on.  Not even a half of an inning into the first game and I found myself rocking a little in the bleachers and muttering under my breath.

"Get a bigger lead.....Aaahh, you should have had second on that play."

"Hands back."

"Hit your cut!!!!!"

"C'mon third, where were you on that bunt?"

"NOOO!!! The play is not at home!!!! CUT TWO, DAMMIT!!!!"

I will say that I did a remarkable job of holding it in.  No one sitting beside me suspected I was on the verge of losing my mind.  And that's nothing against any coaches or players; that's just me wishing I were back in the dugout....I feel totally helpless sitting in the bleachers.

So I'm thinking that Toby's first year of high school baseball will be an absolute hell for me......I may just have to stay on my feet and walk (pace) about because I don't think sitting will be good for me.

Little Boy:  "Daddy, why does that guy keeping rocking back and forth and mumbling?"

Dad: "Ignore him, son.....He's obviously and idiot."

Maybe Karla's right.....Perhaps I should keep coaching.


Still can't cook.....dammit  (Happening right now -- blogging/bitching as the whole mess progresses)

Somehow I turned fried rice into fried paste this week.  I seriously have an entire wok of rice that I can mold like clay.......Hey, that's an idea --- edible art.  Well, except that it's not edible....Shit.

I could patch dry wall and seal cracks in concrete with this crap.

Fried rice is now fried experiment.  As soon as it cools I will be chucking it outside and see if the local wildlife will find it palatable.

Actually, I can't even call it fried rice -- it's just sticky slop.  When I posted the picture of it on FB a friend commented that she thought it looked like oatmeal.  Hell, as long a someone thinks it looks like A food I'll gladly take it.

I could offer it to a starving person and he would say...."You know, I just ate a bug and a pile of dirt....Mmmm... full, man.  Thanks anyway."

Grrr...Just a big pile of smoking horse shit......

I am now calling for pizza........AARRRGHHHH!!!!!


Hmmm......My blog started out with a happy garden and ended with.....with......Grrrrr.....

Well, can't be happy all the time.  But, overall, it was a damn good week.









No comments:

Post a Comment