Friday, November 22, 2013

Chiefs vs. Broncos.....The aftermath.....

Broncos 27
Chiefs    17

Part 1:

You know, honestly, this has to be the best game the Chiefs have ever lost.  Don't get me wrong, any time you lose it's disappointing.  But the repercussions of this loss weren't nearly as bad as I feared it would be.

From a respect standpoint I feel that we have earned it from the people that really matter.  Tony Dungy, Chris Collinsworth, and Phil Simms had a lot of good things to say about the Chiefs after the game.

Then there is this guy:  "The Chiefs are the worst 9-0 team EVER."  --- Pete Prisco

In his power rankings the Chiefs dropped to third and he had this to say about them:

"They did some good things at Denver, but that offense is too limited. At some point, it has to improve in the passing game."

I'll take that because, after all, he's absolutely right.

Sure, there are still plenty of naysayers out there.  My favorite so far is Mr. Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post.  In his article he calls the Chiefs the Kansas City Frauds, compares Alex Smith to Ambien, and tells his readers to "forget" Kansas City; that the real threat to Denver's run at AFC supremacy are the Patriots.

Well, to the victor go the spoils.  We will see what Mr. Kiszla has to say two weeks from now after the donkeys visit Arrowhead.


Part 2:

I guess it's a fair question to ask me how I could possibly be happy after what I saw in Denver.  Okay, let's review.

The offense was horrible.  I said that Jamaal Charles needed at least twenty carries if the Chiefs were going to have a chance at winning; he got 16.  But, in all fairness, it wouldn't have mattered if he had gotten twenty carries anyway.  He got 35 yards on one carry; but only 43 yards on the other 15.  The Denver D did a good job bottling him up.

Alex Smith was never comfortable in the pocket....To say that the offensive line struggled would be a huge understatement.  On top of the line struggles our receivers couldn't get any separation from their defenders, fumbled the ball deep in Bronco territory, and dropped at least two passes that I can recall.
(I do find it funny that fans are already calling for Alex Smith to be replaced......The mob is fickle, brother.  Get this guy some help and see what he does....Let's not talk about running him out of town just yet.)

The defense played well enough, but our pass rush has me a little concerned.  With only one sack in the last three games something has gone horribly wrong; even more unsettling is the fact that the Broncos never had to bring in a tight end to help the tackles.  Peyton better be buying some damn good Christmas gifts for his hogs on the line, they did a fine job.

Speaking of Peyton, I also voiced concern about how the whole ankle injury thing put the Chiefs in a catch .22; how the media would play it up and use it as an excuse should the Broncos lose.....

Well, shit, so much for that.......I will say this though.  As much as the media wanted to hype the bum ankle, I loved the answer Peyton gave when asked about his injury after the game: "Not doing the weekly check ups and updates."

Yeah, he wears orange, but you can't help but like the guy.

So....back to the question.  How can I possibly be happy after what I saw in Denver?  Here's why:

2012 Kansas City Chiefs
GM -- Scott Pioli
Head Coach -- Romeo Crennel
Record 2-14
1st overall pick in the draft.

Need I say more?


The turn around has been remarkable and after suffering through the Scott Pioli regime I couldn't be happier with my beloved Chiefs.  And it's perfectly okay to be happy --- as long as you're not satisfied.  I firmly believe that Andy Reid and John Dorsey are very happy; but nowhere near satisfied.

Fear not, Chiefs fans, all the pieces to the puzzle have yet to be put in place.  As the old saying goes; Rome wasn't built in a day.

Can this years team win a Super Bowl?  Honestly, I seriously doubt it.  But they can win a playoff game, and when was the last time that happened? (Uh -- 1994 -- Joe Montana)

But, hey, who knows?  Maybe the Chiefs CAN win a Super Bowl.  The average football fan's emotions are no different than that oblong pigskin when is hit's the ground; unpredictably bouncing this way and that......Should the Chiefs win their next two games, coupled with a Denver loss in New England, then the talk of the town will be about home field advantage and a serious shot at the Lombardi Trophy.  All the anxiety and doubting from that loss in Denver will be wiped away; nothing but a distant memory.

Hell, I honestly would have been happy with seven wins this year.  We were supposed to be rebuilding, remember?

So say what you will about the Chiefs --- call them flawed,  call them frauds, call them whatever you like..... I'm happy as hell with them.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment