Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Music.....

As soon as our family piled into the vehicle to head home from Thanksgiving dinner at Karla's aunt and uncle's house; we turned on the radio and put on the Christmas music.

That's kind of become a family habit in that we don't listen to Christmas music or put up decorations until after Thanksgiving is over.  However, once our bellies are full of turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing, we consider the gobbler holiday officially over and crank up the Christmas tunes for the ride back home.

"Jingle bells!!!!  Jingle bells!!!"

It is probably the only time all year that we can all ride in the same vehicle without arguing over what to play on the radio.

Of course, if the radio station played the kind of Christmas music that I like, the kids would most likely be begging me to shut it off.

Tera: "Dad, what is this?"

Me: "It's Tchaikovsky, pumpkin."

Tera: "It sounds........classical.  Can you change it?"

(sigh)   Fine.

Occasionally I can play the nutcracker suite on the computer at home without getting much complaint from the kids.....

If I play Pavarotti, however, I can see the two of them collaborating on plans to overthrow the DJ.

But it's not just the kids that don't like Pavarotti; my brother, Tony, called the house one day.

Me:  "Hello?"

Tony: "Hey, what's up?"

Me: "Nothing, what are you up to?"

Tony, "Holy shit, who's dying?"

Me: "What?"

Tony: "That guy that's wailing like he's passing a kidney stone."

Me: "What?  That's Pavarotti!!"

Tony:  "Well you better get him to a doctor.  He doesn't sound like he feels very well."

Ingrates.......

               ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Carol of the Bells is another one of my favorite Christmas songs -- but I can't play it at long as Toby is around or he will start singing the family guy parody and completely butcher an absolutely beautiful song.

"Ding, fries are done.....Ding, fries are done."

I blow a gasket and tell him to shut up as he runs away, laughing, to his bedroom.

It's been years since I have been able to listen to the Carol of the Bells without that a-hole screaming "DING, FRIES ARE DONE!!!!"  "WOULD YOU LIKE AN APPLE PIE WITH THAT?"

I just want to go one Christmas without hearing that awful butchering of one of my most favorite songs.

But even when Toby isn't around, I can't get away from it.  I was driving home one day and the Carol of the Bells came on the radio.  I felt a glowing warmth growing inside me as I rejoiced; Toby was not here to grin like an idiot and ruin my most beloved and cherished song.

I turned up the radio, eased back into my seat, and drove a little bit slower than I normally do. I was so relaxed and at peace as I detected a faint smile upon my face.  All was right with the world.....

Then, unconsciously out of nowhere, I heard myself blurt out, "Would you like an apple pie with that?"

OH MY GOD......DID I REALLY JUST SING THAT?

I think a small part of me died on that ride home.....I shut off the radio, defeated and depressed.  My beloved Carol of the Bells forever ruined.  Thank you, son.....Thank you.

                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    

I don't know what it is about Karla's uncle Paul, but ever since he grew a beard I want to break out into Burl Ives songs every time I see him.  It could be the middle of July and it wouldn't matter....

"Have a holly, jolly Christmas...."

Karla shakes her head, "Tom, you dork, Paul looks nothing like Burl Ives."

I did a google search for images of Burl Ives and found that Paul, most indeed, looked nothing like the Burl.  They both were older gentlemen with a beard and glasses; but that's where the similarities ended.

Oh well....I don't know when or how I managed to correlate Uncle Paul with Burl Ives, but there's no going back now.

"Silver and gold, silver and gold....."

               -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


My top five favorite songs:

1. Silent Night as sung by Mahalia Jackson  --- Great Voice

2. O Holy Night -- Luciano Pavarotti  --- I don't care what Tony says....He does NOT sound like he's dying.

3. Variations on the Canon -- Palchelbel/George Winston -- I am thoroughly convinced that the piano, when played well, is the greatest musical instrument in the world.

4.  I want a hippopotamus for Christmas -- Gayla Peevey ---- Hey, ya gotta have a fun one on the list.

5. Sleigh Ride as played by the Glenn Miller band --- Love that big band sound.

Honorable Mention:

All I want for Christmas is you -- Mariah Carey.  Bubbly, Perky, and, let's face it, sung by a really hot babe!!!!!

White Christmas sung by the Drifters --- How can you not break into falsetto when you hear this?

Carol of the Bells --- it would have been in the top five had Toby not turned it into an obnoxious celebration about fast food.

               ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you imaging Christmas without music?  It simply isn't possible.  All it takes is the right song and the memories from your childhood come vividly rushing back.  The right music makes me think of hot chocolate, decorating the tree, all the lights, and, of course, family.

Even if one of my family members has totally ruined one of my favorite songs.......

Yeah, I'm just not going to let this one go........AARRRGGH!!!!


Happy Holidays everybody!!!!!

http://youtu.be/Ooc5eJc5SHA


No comments:

Post a Comment