Monday, October 28, 2013

A girl and her old man....

It seems silly to think that something as simple as a run could make me feel as if I've gotten closer with my daughter; that I have created a stronger bond with her -- isn't it?

But as I sit here typing I can honestly say that I have never felt prouder of Tera.  My little girl, my former couch potato, without prompting, took the bull by the horns and jumped at the chance to participate in Girls on the Run.  And in the process she got her dad to jump in as well.

The big race is on November 16th, but Tera was not content to wait that long.  So we did a local 5K this past Sunday.


I was a surprised to find myself getting nervous about an hour before the race; the long dormant competitive juices from my playing days had returned.  Hell, I thought those emotions had died out years ago.  I was pacing the floor at the house, going to the bathroom several times, feeling the butterflies in my stomach.  It felt great.

I can't for the life of me explain why I felt this way.  I wasn't going to leave Tera's side and, even if I did, there was no way I was going to be even remotely close to finishing near the front of the pack.  I'm just not in that good of shape ---- yet.

(By the way, the individual that did win the overall race is a seventh grader....I'm sure if the local track coach hasn't caught wind of him yet, she will real soon.  That kid flew through the race and his mom said he hasn't even really been training for it......Oh, to be young and freakishly talented)

Before the race started I kept telling Tera, "It doesn't matter where you finish, pumpkin.  As long as you finish, that is all that matters and you should be proud."

Tera smiled and gave a barely noticeable nod.

Yet, despite what I told her, I found myself sizing up the competition and wondering how I would compare to certain individuals that I saw stretching and getting ready to run.  (Yeah, the competitive fire never really goes away)

Of course, deep down, my real worry was that I wouldn't even be able to keep up with my eight year old daughter.

                                                                           


By nature, Tera is a little chatter box;  get her excited and she talks non-stop.

On this day, Tera was amped and chattering constantly.  When the race started she kept talking as she ran and I began to wonder how long it would be before she wore her self out.  The answer would be at around a half a mile.

"Dad," she huffed, face flush, "I just can't talk and run. I'm just going to run. Is that okay?"

"That's perfectly fine, pumpkin.  Just do your thing and I'll try to keep up."

She had yet to run a full 5K, her furthest run being around two and a half miles, so we did shut it down and walk a couple of times.  I'm sure the first half mile where she talked non stop played a small part.

I don't recall ever seeing her work this hard so, concerned, I asked her if she was okay a couple of times.

"I'm fine."

Yes, it turns out, she was.  I was really proud of how well she was handling her first 5K.  But, as we got to end and Tera saw the finish line, I couldn't help but wonder if she may have been sandbagging a little.

Without hesitation, she bolted for the finish line and left me behind....What the Hell?


She has too much of her old man in her, I thought.  As she charged ahead she took a quick glance back to see where I was.  The little competitor in her had no intention of letting her dad finish before her.

That's fine kid.....In fact, I prefer it that way.  Enjoy your victory.

Although, in retrospect, I wish she would have enjoyed the moment just a little while longer....Once again, she's too much like her dad.  Always happy, never satisfied.

I gave her a hug and congratulated her.  Then, the instant we broke free, she looked at me and said, "I want to do another one."

That's awesome.  I mean, really, just how awesome is that?

"I tell you what," I said, "Why don't we celebrate with a big plate of spaghetti and then talk about our next race afterwards?"

"OOO....Spaghetti!!!"

I'll take that as a yes.

I told Karla afterwards that I guess I had better look into getting some good running shoes for the daughter and myself.  This may turn into a habit.

Proud of ya, kid......Real proud.   :)





1 comment:

  1. that's so grate this has made me think if she can do it I should at least try a short run to the park a few times a week with my son.

    ReplyDelete